Monday, June 10, 2013

Indiana Jones and The Lemurs of Tsingy

So if you were all wondering where I’ve been, I’ve been even further back in time, and even further away from civilization than I thought I already lived. On June 1st after attending a Mid-Service concert chock full of beekeeping information and medical exams, 9 fellow PCVs and myself embarked on a week long journey that would take us far away from the tropical forests that we’ve become so used to. For once instead of heading east, we head west into the mysterious desert lands that this country has to offer. Starting in Antsirabe, Mada’s coldest city and also the home of THB, Mada’s best attempt at a tropical pilsner derivative, we loaded up and set out for Miandrivazo, which is currently fighting for the title of Mada’s hottest city. There we took our Mercedes 412 Sprinter, which is usually accustomed to delivering sausages about Leipzig, into the desert savanna on route to the banks of the Tsiribihina River. We loaded ourselves and gear into three Pirogues and crossed to river to make camp for the night.

That's our guide Bee, and a bean loaded slingshot aimed at me

Then we tried to leisurely fish among a gaggle of gasy children 

Rice again, but I’m on vacation

Tents Check!

Beers Check!

Crocs Abound

Lurkin' on the Shore

Shade's a rare commodity

Lunch

“Strung together like a floatin’ trailer park”

Croc Bait

FYI Limestone pools are really slick


We traded in our Pirogues for a 4X4 mounted on two bit ferry

Only when we stopped to take a break did our driver realise we had a flat

With all these ferries, it's beginning to seem more and more like Oregon Trail

A traditional Lemur Tree House


Spelunking anyone?





Ah the Avenue at Sunset


Salama

Nick

3 comments:

  1. Nick!

    I think about you constantly and all the amazing adventures you must having. I am so proud of you for all that you are accomplishing in life and admire your ability to love life in any circumstance. I love you and miss you everyday. I can not wait to see you again my friend, soon right?

    Love you!
    Missy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick!

    I think about you constantly and all the amazing adventures you must having. I am so proud of you for all that you are accomplishing in life and admire your ability to love life in any circumstance. I love you and miss you everyday. I can not wait to see you again my friend, soon right?

    Love you!
    Missy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nick! thank you so much for the text you sent me a few weeks ago! you have no idea how happy it made me! :) i recently moved to Austin TX and miss Becky Carson is down here visiting! we both miss you very much! please send me all the lemur pictures in the world! i don't have your email address which is very strange but mine is malemieu@gmail.com and my home address is, 130 Cumberland Road Apt 325 Austin TX 78704. I hope you are continuing to have an amazing time my friend!

    best,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete