Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Green Thumb

After experiencing some unexpected technical difficulties last month, I am proud to finally bring all of you an update on the happenings of my life. Over the course of the last two months I have been fortunate enough to work with some amazing individuals, and they're are still many that I'm eager to work with in the future. Currently I am overseeing the development and care of a newly constructed vegetable garden for my community's EPP (primary school). We are currently building and sowing new garden beds in preparation for the kick off of the EPP's new school lunch program. Not only will the garden provide vegetables that are typically absent from the students diets but it also provides a learning environment for the students. Just this past week I led a session on composting, and with the help of 12 students was able to construct a pile in record time. So far the garden's become a big hit and it's also an alternative for those students that are a little too distracted in the average classroom setting.
Many Hands Make Light Work

On the home front, I've just started to enjoy the fruits of my labor; green beans are coming in, and I've got some squash around the corner. My personal garden's the test bed for some of new planting techniques we're working on, this way we can keep our eggs in in few different baskets. Construction wise I managed to finish building a wooden wheel for one of our communities wheelbarrows and it can dance with True Temper's best. It's constructed from eucalyptus and finished with the remains of used moto tire; don't have to worry about any punctures on this baby. Two weeks ago I traveled to my counterparts forge and while there I first ran the bellows then tried my hand at nails and finally learned how to make a hax-saw from some old rebar. Then this last week I managed to take part on a concrete pour, the old fashioned way with bags of portland cements, aggregate, sand, and plenty of hand mixing. I couldn't tell you what the slump was, but I did manage to leave a quality finish with the only float available, a trowel.
 
Fidy's Forge

I've got to run to catch my brousse back Ambalona but I be back with pictures and news next week when I head back up to Montasoa for training with the other new volunteers.

Salama

Nick

2 comments:

  1. speaking of farming...
    http://news.yahoo.com/vt-police-man-angry-arrest-used-tractor-monster-093018626.html

    MISS YOU!!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're back up and posting mate! Hope all is well over there, it sounds like you're doing some really quality stuff. By the way, the hat from the picture that was part of your may post is awesome, very panama jack esque. Take care man, keep the posts coming this stuff is really interesting. Best of luck with the gardens!

    ReplyDelete